Monday, February 23, 2009

Boys Only.


CORRECTION: David did not come in last. Joe did. David was second to last.

***

It was a small gesture. Something to commemorate and memorialize the man David Lee was before the arrival of our second child and the end of life as he knew it.

Last month, I planned a small outing for Dave and couple of his buddies. The day started out with a gentleman's shave at St. Moritz in SF. Some of you may be wondering what that is. It's an old fashion razor shave. You know, the kind you see in mobster movies. Dave said that it was 'okay', not something he would probably ever do again. I had hoped that it would be a more luxurious experience but it sounded like it was just an 'okay' experience. He said it was 'interesting' but Dave uses that word to describe an entire spectrum of persons, places and things that include but are not limited to the fantastic, wonderful, amazing, bizarre, grotesque, disappointing, hideous, breathtaking, unremarkable...be wary when Dave calls anything interesting. When I first met him, I took his use of 'interesting' at face value and assumed that he literally meant it. That it WAS interesting. But, later I found that it meant nothing but...what it really was was a tactic to avoid speaking the terrible and ugly truth. So, the shave was 'interesting'.

Then off to lunch at Steelhead Brewery. From what I was told there was a lot of talk about the life altering experience of having a second child. Sue, so candidly said: "It will rock your world". She also told me that marital satisfaction is at an all time low when a second child is introduced into a marriage. "So, if you feel like you don't like David, it's not really him..."

If Sue said that, I can only imagine what the boys said over lunch.

After lunch, it was off to the tracks and the guys went to Go Kart Racer. David came home later that day and asked me to guess who won first place. I said, Paul. He looked at me surprised: "How did you know?".

I've seen Paul drive.

There was additional commentary about making the turns and times and records and such, but I won't bore you with such nonsense. As long as they had a good time...my job was done.

I suppose it's only fair that I mention that Joe had the fastest track time, but he came in last because he spun out. Guess he got a little over-impassioned and NASCAR kinda took over. David came in last, but it was because 1) he was trying to follow the rules and not bump into people, 2) he was the biggest guy on the track and the extra weight added to the time lag...3) [insert more lame excuses].

My favorite part? Loved the outfits.

http://boxoffice.com/blogs/steve/-armageddon.jpg

1 comment:

MPPC Ripple Effect SG leaders said...

You are hilarious. Btw, Joe's spin out--it's Formula One, not NASCAR. Trust me when I say that this is a huge distinction.